Monday, July 16, 2007

A STUDY OF PRAYER


TO WHOM SHOULD WE PRAY?
THE FATHER
Mt 6:9 “This, then, is how you should pray: “ ‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name,
Mt 26:39 Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.”
Mt 26:42 He went away a second time and prayed, “My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.”
Mk 14:36 “Abba, Father,” he said, “everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.”
Jn 17:1 After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed: “Father, the time has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you.
Jn 17:24 “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.
Jn 17:25 “Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me.
Eph 1:17 I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.
Eph 5:20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ
Col 3:17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

THE LORD JESUS
Lk 5:33-35 They said to him, “John’s disciples often fast and pray, and so do the disciples of the Pharisees, but yours go on eating and drinking.” Jesus answered, “Can you make the guests of the bridegroom fast while he is with them? But the time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them; in those days they will fast.”
Lk 11:1 One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.”
Jn 14:13-14 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.
Ac 1:24-25 Then they prayed, “Lord, you know everyone’s heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs.”
Ac 2:21 And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.’
Ac 7:59-60 While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” Then he fell on his knees and cried out, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” When he had said this, he fell asleep.
Ac 8:22 Repent of this wickedness and pray to the Lord. Perhaps he will forgive you for having such a thought in your heart. Ac 8:24 Then Simon answered, “Pray to the Lord for me so that nothing you have said may happen to me.”
Ro 10:11-14 As the Scripture says, “Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame.” For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?
1Co 1:2 To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ—their Lord and ours:
Phil 2:10-11 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,to the glory of God the Father.
Col 3:17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Heb 13:15 Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips that confess his name.

GOD
Ac 10:2 He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly. Ac 10:4 Cornelius stared at him in fear. “What is it, Lord?” he asked. The angel answered, “Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God.
Ac 10:31 and said, ‘Cornelius, God has heard your prayer and remembered your gifts to the poor.
Ro 10:1 Brothers, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved.
1Co 11:13 Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered?
Eph 5:20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ


HOW SHOULD WE PRAY?
IN THE SPIRIT
Ro 8:26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.
Eph 6:18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.
Phil 1:4 In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy
Jude 1:20 But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit.

WITH OUR MIND AND WITH OUR SPIRIT
1Co 14:14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.
1Co 14:15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.
Eph 6:18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.

NOT TO IMPRESS OTHERS
Mt 6:5-8 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
Mk 12:40 They devour widows’ houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. Such men will be punished most severely.”
Lk 20:47 They devour widows’ houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. Such men will be punished most severely.”

WITH FAITH
Mt 21:22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”
Mk 11:24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
Ro 12:12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer
Phil 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
Jas 5:15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven.

LETTING GO OF UNFORGIVENESS
Mk 11:25 And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.’”
1Ti 2:8 I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing.

WITH A PURE HEART
Jas 5:16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
1Pe 3:12 For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.”
2Ti 1:3 I thank God, whom I serve, as my forefathers did, with a clear conscience, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers.
Heb 13:18 Pray for us. We are sure that we have a clear conscience and desire to live honorably in every way

WITH PRAISE AND THANKS TO GOD
Eph 1:16 I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers.
Phil 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
Col 1:3-4 We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all the saints—
Col 4:2 Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.
1Th 1:2 We always thank God for all of you, mentioning you in our prayers.
1Th 5:17-18 pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
Phm 1:4 I always thank my God as I remember you in my prayers, because I hear about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints.

PERSISTENTLY
Lk 18:1-8 Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. He said: “In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared about men. And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, ‘Grant me justice against my adversary.’ “For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, ‘Even though I don’t fear God or care about men, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won’t eventually wear me out with her coming!’ ” And the Lord said, “Listen to what the unjust judge says. And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?”

HUMBLY
Lk 18:10-14 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’ “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’ “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

EARNESTLY
Lk 22:44 And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.
Ac 6:4 and will give our attention to prayer and the ministry of the word.”
1Co 7:5 Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.
Eph 6:18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.
Col 4:2 Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.
1Th 3:10 Night and day we pray most earnestly that we may see you again and supply what is lacking in your faith.
Jas 5:17-18 Elijah was a man just like us. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops
1Pe 4:7 The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray.

IN SUBMISSION
1Co 11:4 Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head.
1Co 11:5 And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is just as though her head were shaved.
1Co 11:13 Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered?
Heb 5:7 During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission.
1Pe 3:7 Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home